You may have heard about the new General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). The new guidelines take effect on 25 May 2018 and will govern how we gather, save and process your personal information.
The following is LIGCA’s Privacy Notice that explains who we are and what we will do with personal data that is collected from you and how it will be used and stored by us.
Who We Are
The London International Gallery of Children’s Art (LIGCA) is a charitable organization and its mission is to promote education, international understanding and awareness through children’s art. We primarily organize activities and events, such as education workshops and art exhibitions, in various locations around the world including schools, museums and galleries in furtherance of this goal. These activities and events are often presented in collaboration with a partner organisation or entity.
We are a charity registered in England and Wales. Our registered charity number is 1114021 and our company limited by guarantee number is 5697695. Our registered office address is Unit 11, Wimbledon Stadium Business Centre, Riverside Road, London SW17 0BA.
What Personal Information We Collect
Personal data may be requested from you in order carry out the functions of our charitable organization. If we request this information, we will let you know how we use it by referring you to our Privacy Notice.
We collect personal data that you may provide to us in relation to:
- Your registration and participation in an education workshop, exhibition or other activity or event, for example as a student participant;
- Consent forms;
- Mailing sign ups and attendance lists;
- Your visits to our website and social media and messaging services, such as Facebook;
- Volunteer and employee applications including CVs and professional activities;
- Donations and other forms of fundraising;
- Copies of documents that you provide us to verify your identity;
- Contact preferences;
- Competition entries; and
- Details obtained as a result of correspondence between you and us and any feedback you may give us.
Personal information we collect from you may include:
- Your name, title, gender, date of birth or age; postal address or country of origin, email address and phone number;
- Child/parent or guardian details; and
- Other personal information that you volunteer when participating in an activity or event, which may include your story, your reflections on your artwork or craftwork, current interests and activities, school name, etc.
Additional information that we may collect and retain about you as a participant or visitor at an activity or event, a supporter of LIGCA, or as a user of our website or social media and messaging services may include:
- Taxpayer status to determine the availability of Gift Aid;
- Bank details, where applicable, and
- Any other information provided by you to LIGCA at our request.
What we do with your information
In order to fulfil the mission and responsibilities of LIGCA, we will, for certain LIGCA purposes, ask for your consent before using your information, while in others we may use your information where we have a legitimate interest to do so. We may also collect and process your personal data in order to comply with our contractual and legal obligations. Personal information will be processed fairly and in accordance with data protection principals. When consent is required to use the personal data of a child under the age of 18, the consent of a person with parental responsibility will be requested at the time of collection. In addition the child will be provided with a clear age and language appropriate privacy notice.
The use of your information will depend on your relationship with LIGCA and preferences that you have indicated and may be used by us for the following purposes:
- To display or publish artwork at our educational workshops and exhibitions, on our website or on our social media and messaging services, or in educational materials or books;
- To send you information about LIGCA by post, telephone or electronic means. These types of communications may include information on upcoming events such as education workshops or exhibitions; information on our fundraising activities whereby we may request that you consider giving financial or other support to our charity; and other relevant communications;
- To provide news and updates about LIGCA on our website and social media and messaging services;
- To fulfil any requests that you make to us and to communicate with you with respect to those requests;
- To process donations, direct debit and Gift Aid confirmations and thank you cards;
- To administer competitions that you enter;
- To process volunteer and employment applications;
- To request the completion of a survey(s) that will assist us in tailoring our plans for potential education workshops, exhibitions and other events and activities;
- To prepare annual reports; and
- For data screening and cleansing so that we may check if we have accurate contact details for you.
Who we might share your information with
We do not disclose personal data to any third parties or external organisations other than to carefully selected and trusted persons or organizations if a disclosure of information is necessary to conduct a LIGCA related activity or event or to process donations. These third parties or external organisations may include school and hospital administrators, educators, art consultants and BT My Donate. We may disclose personal data if required to do so by law. Personal data may be shared with third parties outside the European Economic Area (EEA) in relation to education workshops, exhibitions and other events and activities. These countries may not have similar data protection laws as in the UK. However, third parties will be instructed and contractually bond to handle any shared personal data in accordance with the GDPR and the provisions stated in this Privacy Notice.
How we keep your information safe
We employ appropriate security measures to insure the safety of your personal data from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. This information is held in both digital and paper files. Our volunteers and data processors have been instructed on their obligation to maintain the confidentiality of those providing us with their personal data including that of students, participants, supporters and visitors. Although we strive to protect all data given to us, we cannot ensure the protection of information transmitted through the use of the internet with respect to loss, misuse or alteration.
How long do we keep your information?
We will only keep your personal data for as long as it is necessary for the purpose it was collected for. Once the information is no longer required appropriate steps will be taken to insure that it is destroyed, in the case of a paper file, or deleted, in the case of a digital file.
How can I access the information about me, and correct or delete information?
You may ask us for a copy of any personal data that we hold about you by making a Subject Access Request. To make a Subject Access Request you will need to provide adequate proof of identity such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate or driving licence before your request can be processed. Moreover, requests made by someone with parental responsibility for the personal data of their child must provide adequate proof of their relationship to the child. You may also be asked to pay a nominal fee of up to £10 in order to process your request.
Once we have received your Subject Access Request, the agreed fee and proof of identity and relationship to a child, if applicable, you will receive a response from us within 40 days and you will be able to get copies of any information we hold on you. However, exemptions to disclosure may apply in some circumstances.
Subject Access Requests should be sent to:
Data Protection Officer
Unit 11, Wimbledon Stadium Business Centre,
London SW17 0BA
You may request that any of your personal information held by LIGCA be deleted or corrected. You may also withdraw consent given pursuant to this Privacy Notice by simply contacting LIGCA at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have concerns about the way LIGCA has handled your information, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). They may be reached by phone at 0303 123 113 or online at www.ico.org.uk/concerns.
In order to make the LIGCA website easier to use and improve our service, we sometimes place small text files, also known as cookies, on your computer.
Changes to our privacy notice
We regularly review our privacy notice, and may make changes from time to time and as necessary. Any changes made will be posted to this page and will apply from the time we post them. This privacy notice was last changed on the 22 of May 2018. To be reviewed in May, 2019.